Disappointments show up in our lives in different ways –
- Deferment of a dream
- Shattered expectations
- Misplaced expectations
- Rocky transitions
- Making incorrect assumptions
Disappointments are personal and can be overwhelming. So, what can we do to ease the sometimes overwhelming pain and hurt?
- Realize your strength as you cope with the situation
- Be hopeful and remember that most things are temporary
- Avoid making excuses and make a decision (what is the worse thing that can happen?)
- Let go, despite the hurt feelings
- Take an objective look, seek another person’s opinion as necessary
- Appreciate and learn from the lesson
I would love to hear your thoughts, how you handle life’s disappointments and how you teach children to deal with the inescapable. Let us learn and teach together.